As part of our Community Discussion on Anti-Asian Violence, we created this list of resources for our Stuyvesant community to use in combating AAPI hate.
- Stop AAPI Hate website
- VIDEO: We Need to Talk About Anti-Asian Hate
- Free Bystander Intervention Training
- AABANY Trial Reenactments Project
- Advocate for expanded civil rights protections that would safeguard Asian Americans and other people from harassment and discriminatory treatment in private businesses. See if your state has public accommodation laws that protect people from discrimination in businesses (PDF).
- Support Ethnic Studies in your local school districts and educational institutions. Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders have experienced centuries of violence in the U.S. We need to address the perpetual foreigner stereotype that frames Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders as outsiders to this nation. Due to this Orientalist framing, Asians can be excluded, detained, deported, and attacked because we supposedly don’t belong here. Ethnic Studies helps teach students the sources of this racism and promotes racial empathy and solidarity.
- Support local Asian-owned businesses. These businesses began seeing a decline in business even before the first case of coronavirus was confirmed in the U.S. and stay-at-home orders were enacted.
- Stuyvesant Clubs you can get in touch with