Job and Internship Opportunities at SHSAA
OPERATIONS ASSISTANT – Now Hiring
The Stuyvesant High School Alumni Association (SHSAA) champions Stuyvesant students and alumni. With 50,000+ alumni around the globe, our powerful network supports Stuyvesant’s world-class educational system, empowers its diverse student body of 3,300 pupils, and promotes fellowship among alumni. We are committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible alumni community where all members feel valued, and are as proud to be a member as they were to be a student. We envision Stuyvesant High School, a specialized public high school in New York City that has been ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of the best high schools in the nation, as the #1 choice for all NYC students seeking an incomparable educational experience in STEM, the Arts and Humanities, and more.
SHSAA seeks a permanent full-time Operations Assistant to join the team immediately. The Operations Assistant will be an integral part of the Alumni Office team and works closely with the Executive Director in all activities involving the administration and management of operations at SHSAA, including finance, general administration, and database management.
- Assists in developing budgets and financial reports for Board Members and Trustees;
- Processes event registrations, membership requests, and donations on a regular basis;
- Supports the office in issuing acknowledgement letters to donors;
- Processes bills, prints checks, and distributes payments as needed;
- Assists in School Store sales, including inventory and ordering new merchandise;
- Supports monthly reconciliations with our outside accountant;
- Assists with events, including submitting activity permits and insurance requests;
- Provides light administrative support to the Executive Director;
- Serves as support staff for events as needed, including evenings and weekends;
- Other duties as assigned.
The Operations Assistant reports to the Executive Director and has the opportunity to supervise interns.
Qualifications: Strong candidates for this position will have:
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred, but not mandatory;
- 1-2 years of work experience; nonprofit or accounting experience a plus;
- Legal authorization to work in the United States
- A strong sense of integrity to operate with the highest level of confidentiality and professionalism;
- Ability to be graceful and diplomatic in maintaining various business relationships;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office programs (Excel, Word, Powerpoint, etc.), Adobe, Google Mail and be able to learn and navigate databases;
- Familiarity with Raisers Edge, or other database tools, a strong plus;
- Proficiency with Quickbooks a plus;
- Occasional requirement to arrive early/stay late on an ad hoc/as required basis;
- Occasional requirement to lift boxes 25lbs (or more) in support of events and School Store needs;
- Ties to Stuyvesant High School strongly preferred.
Compensation: $45,000 – $52,000 annually, commensurate with experience, plus benefits.
SHSAA offers an attractive benefits package, including healthcare insurance (medical and dental), a voluntary retirement savings plan, commuter benefits, and paid time off.
Schedule: Primarily in-person, with occasional remote working, Monday to Friday. Occasional requirement to support events on evenings and weekends.
COVID-19 considerations: As the Alumni Office is located within a DOE Public School building, all positions at SHSAA fall under the NYC vaccine mandate. All employees, volunteers and interns must show proof of vaccination upon hire.
To Apply: Please e-mail your resume and a thoughtful cover letter, stating how you heard about the position and your qualifications to Diego Segalini, Executive Director at [email protected]. Please title the email “Operations Assistant: YOUR NAME.” No phone calls please. Only those moving forward to an interview will be contacted.
The Stuyvesant High School Alumni Association is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any applicant because of race, creed, color, age, national origin, ancestry, religion, gender, sexual orientation, (dis)ability, genetic information, veteran status, military status, application for military service, or any other class protected by state or federal law. We are dedicated to building a culturally diverse and equitable environment, and strongly encourage applications from people of color and women.