Sign up today!Become a StuyPrep Coach!
StuyPrep was founded in 2016 by the Stuyvesant High School Alumni Association (SHSAA) to assist middle school students from underrepresented areas of NYC gain admission to Stuyvesant and other NYC specialized high schools. The Program is funded and operated by the SHSAA, entirely volunteer-driven, and free for all students accepted into the Program.
StuyPrep is always on the lookout for passionate Stuyvesant alumni and current students who can be coaches (mentors, tutors, and role models) for middle school students who participate in the Program.
- As a coach, you will be supporting a cohort of rising eighth graders from underrepresented groups to help them prepare for the SHSAT. In consultation with the primary instructor, you will help guide the experience and development of your mentees.
- Time Commitment: A minimum of 2 (out of 10) consecutive Saturday mornings from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. starting in September and October.
- Saturday morning sessions are expected to take place at Stuyvesant High School, 345 Chambers Street, New York, NY 10282.
Before students even meet with you, they will have taken a SHSAT Preparation course taught by one of our partner providers.
However, you will still have tremendous impact on the lives of these students by:
- Working with them to help them prepare for the SHSAT
- Guiding them through the process of selecting a high school
- Discussing high school life and preparing them for what to expect
- Serving as a positive role model
Help deserving students get into the high schools of their dreams!Sign up to be a StuyPrep Coach!
If you are interested in another opportunity working with children from the community through the New York Public Library (“NYPL”), please contact Michael Rios (a Stuyvesant alumnus) at [email protected]. The NYPL is running a similar program through their branches aimed at helping to prepare local children for the SHSAT as well.